View Single Post
Old 12-06-10, 04:23 AM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by BarryJo
I ride around Central Ma. I still ride the rear brake coming down Mile Hill Rd. along Mt Wachusett, the cross winds where the road opens are completely unpredictable.

September I crashed really hard on a group Century, caught my front wheel in the RR crossing and hit the deck, ended up in the ER with a mild concuscion and some serious road rash.
Lesson learned.
Except over the past few months I thought I had it figured out until I caught the tracks again on today's ride, I don't know how I managed to stay upright but I did.

Time and more riding will relieve the anxiety. But you still need to ride smart.
Rail tracks in the wet are the pits. I know all the principles and generally practise them. But I came a beauty on some slightly angled tracks about midnight on a long ride. I got away with a hand injury, but I have been ultra-cautious ever since on wet rail lines.

You can have all the skills in the world, but you might not have it all quite together when the real emergency happens.

Personally, I think mountain bike riding can do a LOT to help improve pre-emptive on-road riding skills, line judgment, and reactions, as well as recovery. I suppose cross riding can do the same, but I've not tried it.