View Single Post
Old 12-09-10, 01:24 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spudston
I recently purchased Continental Gatorskin tires in 700 x 28c to replace the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires in 700 x 32c on my Trek hybrid, but I'm wondering if I made a good choice in downsizing. They don't make Gatorskins larger than 28c, so I took what the shop had. After reading many posts here about tire sizes & commuting I'm thinking that returning the unused Contis and getting some Panaracer Pasela Tourguards in 32c might be a better match for my riding conditions. My commute is 7.5 miles round trip in suburban streets and MUPs, usually in dry weather. I also ride about 30 miles most weekends. Any advice would be appreciated.
Like others have stated, its really a toss up. Wider Pasela's will provide a more comfortable ride with better traction, and have pretty good flat protection. The 700 x 28 Gatorskins will ride a little faster, and have ultimate flat protection compared to nearly any other road tire in the under 700 x 35 category. So if you want comfort and traction, go with wider Pasela's. If you want better flat protection overall and a little more speed, I'd suggest the Gatorskins.