WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Comparable steel weights?

Kind of a broad question, but I'm curious. What's the average weight of an average sized 531 frame vs. columbus slx vs. chro-moly vs. tange, etc.? Not gas-pipe, obviously. Are we talking as much as a pound or more, or more like a quarter of a pound?

I'd like to build up a nice steelie for weekend rides, so I'd like to able to target something close to 20 pounds build weight. If it were just a commuter, like my Specialized Sirrus, then I wouldn't bother as much with weight.

Is it more of a question of size and gauge when it comes to weight? Is it more about the ride quality from one steel tubing to another? I mean, steel is generally steel, but I'm wondering if I should drop 5 or 6 hundred on a Merckx frame, or are there some nice frames in the 100 to 200 range that would satisfy this itch?

I would probably build it up with modern stuff, Campy Centaur, decent wheels, etc. But nothing like carbon bars or carbon railed seats made from kangaroo leather or anything like that.

Oh and I'm posting here because it will most likely be older steel. I'd like to stick to classic styled, lugged bikes.