View Single Post
Old 12-10-10, 09:35 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
I got sick and tired, of never being able to find that incredibly light vintage road bicycle, that lots of people remember owning, when they were younger. You remember, the bike you could pick up with your tongue. Horse hooey!

I weight all of my bicycles, these days, and I get at least a hundred vintage road bicycles each year. Rare, and I mean bloody rare, is it that I run across a vintage bicycle that comes in under the twenty pound mark. The only two I have owned were both aluminum, a Vitus and an ALAN. Have a look at my page on Bicycle Weights so that you can get an idea of what a really good vintage road bicycle does weigh. And stop listening to all of the Bull about how incredibly light old bicycles were.

You have been given good advice. Forget the twenty pound mark. It will be expensive to achieve. And, for what this is worth, when working on my Vitus, I had to be really careful with bolt torques. A wee bit too much torque, and there goes a crank ring bolt, or some other aluminum fitting that was so light that it was actually weak.

Just an old fella's opinion.
This old fella agrees 100%.