WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by junkfoodjunkie
My Merckx (57cm not sure on the tubing) is 19lbs 15oz with mostly 9 speed Dura Ace. My Duel (58cm believe it is Brain) is 20lbs 5oz with 10 speed Centaur. My Puch (58cm SLX) weighs 20lbs 13oz with Chorus and Veloce and pretty hefty wheels. You can see all three in the link in my signature below.
None of these have any real weight weenie parts except the saddle. I could get them all under 20lbs with some different wheels.
I am building up an 853 frame with threadless carbon fork right now. Veloce/Centaur mix and I believe it will come in at about 19.5lbs

Jake

Wow, thanks Jake. This is what I was kind of looking for.

Geez, I should have known better than to mention weight in the C&V forum. Did I say under 20 pounds? No, I said around 20 pounds. I've done a little footwork on the subject. My carbon Roubaix weighs a good 20 lbs. It has standard 2006 105 drivetrain and wheels and an FSA carbon crank. Nothing too fancy.

My Sirrus weighs like 24.5 pounds, but that's with some hefty wheels and a comfort saddle. I'm sure with a different alloy seat, seatpost and lighter rims, I could knock off nearly 1 pound plus. And the simplicity of the 80's era 105 stuff is decently light by even todays standards for a groupset. But this is my commuter bike, so I want to more or less leave it as is. It lives with a 5 pound rack+bag combo anyhow.

A reasonably good frame, like a Merckx, with decent wheels and the 09 Centaur stuff (As I mentioned in my previous post. Not looking for a straight 20 pound vintage bike, here) should produce a decently light bike. No, not an 18 pounder, but somewhere around the 20 pound mark. This is all I asked.

Not to dismiss all the other great advice in this thread. I agree that if you're looking for something well under 20 pounds, you're not going to do it "on the cheap" with steel. I agree that chasing some elusive 18 or 19 pound steel build for less than a grand is asking a bit much and would also advise against such a pursuit.

Anyhow, with that said, what are some other brands/frames that might come in at around this 6# number for frame+fork combo that might be out there for less than a more desirable frame a la Merckx or De Rosa?