View Single Post
Old 12-10-10, 08:25 PM
Alan@TreeFort

Bikes: 2010 Niner EMD, 2008 Surly Steamroller, 2007 Giant OCR.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
You don't need any sort of sticky goo provided that you tension your wheels enough and the increased friction is going to cause more wind-up.

Even on the non-drive side of Campagnolo wheels (the longer freehub body moves the drive side flange inward so non-drive side tension is lower than with a Shimano wheel).

Even when lubricating things properly ( I use anti-seize on the spoke threads and a drop of machine oil in each nipple socket).
To each their own... however I use spoke prep not due to the protect against the possibilty of spokes backing out. You are definitely correct - for a properly built wheel with sufficient spoke tension, that will not be a problem.

The reason I like it is it works as a great dry, permanent lubricant (its not gooey when it actually comes to building the wheel, it dries on the spoke threads within a matter of minutes after applying). In my experience it allows for better truing at high tension with less binding between spoke and nipple. Also, it makes future adjustments a breeze, even years down the road.