Old 12-13-10, 12:54 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
while i don't doubt this to be true, it's not a fair comparison, since the hillborne is designed and built as a 650B tourer, and you have it outfitted with the widest, most comfortable 650B tires. all of your vintage road bikes (past and present) were been designed for narrower 27" or 700C wheels. so it's not a good comparison...
I agree for the most part, with the small clarification that:
- I have tried Rivendells with 700C wheels and they are still more comfortable than the vintage roadbikes I have tried.
- I have tried a vintage 650B touring bike (just one, mind you), and it was less comfortable than my Rivendell

So there are likely many factors to consider.

But the real issue is: Will your typical female who is "scared of roadbikes" be motivated to take the trouble to research and seek out a vintage 650B touring bike in her exact size that rides as well as a Rivendell? I doubt it. She simply won't be riding. So it is less about making a fair comparison, than about explaining why someone would be motivated to buy a Rivendell, which was what Rob was asking. It is not easy to find a bicycle of equivalent ride quality today for the price. (And no, I don't think Surley and the other names people will throw out there are comparable. )

Are Rivendells overpriced? Sure, to the extent that all modern bikes are overpriced.