View Single Post
Old 12-14-10, 06:19 PM
kmcrawford111
50/50 Road/eBike Commuter

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Fatboy, Specialized Sirrus, Nashbar Campus, Taga 2.0 Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've ridden in 0 deg. F with -20 windchill. Haven't faced colder. I didn't bike the two days before today, when the winds were about 30 MPH and there was quite a bit of snow. But that was because I don't feel confident riding on snow/ice over 20MPH.

Once the temps get in the single digits or lower, it's time for two balaclavas (I don't cover my mouth and nose with the outer one because it's suffocating) and goggles. I've been wearing the goggles pretty much whenever it's 30 or below now because I find it more comfortable on the eye area. I used to wear a heavy wool coat when it got to be around 20 or less, but I'm finding that wearing my illuminite jacket with two long-sleeved shirts underneath is enough to cover most any day, but if I will be riding in negative windchills this year I probably will use the coat.

Worst commuting weather I ever experienced was about 38 F with rain and strong headwinds, at night to boot. I'd rather be dry at 10 degrees than wet at 40 degrees.