Old 12-16-10, 10:38 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The reason the White Lightning is working better than LeeG's old method is because the WL is actually preventing the chain from picking up water and the lubricant is providing more coverage. His old lube would have probably provided the same coverage...if he hadn't washed it off after each rain ride. Sometimes you want to leave the gunk alone.
I think that's it. I'm using WL WetRide oil and was using FinishLines WetRide lubricant. Apparently the WD40 and water weren't out of the links by the next morning when I added more lube and all I was doing was making a mess that removed oil from the inside of the links. In the old days I simply dripped on Tri-Flow then wiped the excess off and replaced the chain in 6mo, back then Sedis chains were only $7. Here I am 25yrs later riding 1/3 as much in a LOT more rain and the chains are wearing out because I was stripping the lube and leaving the crap on. I was thinking the problem was that narrow chains just didn't last that long but maybe no chain lasts when it's lubed in gunk and grit.

Are the nickle plated chains more durable ?