View Single Post
Old 12-17-10, 11:02 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
wierd cyclist getting buzzed

I stumbled upon this video while researching an old Rush Limbaugh rant.

I have a different philosophy on this guy's woes:

1. If you ride roads where traffic is passing you at 50 MPH you can expect more problems with passing.

2. If you ride these roads as a commuter, get rid of the carbon fiber and the 23 C tires and get a bike with nice wide bulletproof Schwalbe Marathons or commuter tires and ride in the shoulder when there's heavy traffic.

Do not expect traffic on a fast two laner to respect you or even care, as half the time they are on the phone.

3. Expect to get buzzed more looking like that, in spandex. Especally on a fast two lane semi-highway. Keep in mind I wear spandex all the time. But sometimes it invites harassment.

4. Use a helmet mirror. If the lane is clear, fine, take the lane for a minute... If the lane is not clear, ride in the freaking shoulder. If there is a "pack" of cars approaching from behind, and you are in the lane, you are asking for it, as some will not see you because of the vehicle(s) in front of them.

Most racer types shun helmet mirrors though because they don't look cool.

5. Do not expect cars to slow down if there is a car directly to their left so they can't move over into the left lane. This is a major reason why they "squeeze" by you. Use your helmet mirror to anticipate this.

I am not talking about legality here. I am talking about survival. My god, if snowplows are coming up behind you, for god's sakes pull over for a second and let the man do his job. If you are climbing a hill and a truck is behind you, don't expect him to downshift for you, be nice and get out of his way, wave him past...

If you want to race cars on roads like that, you're gonna lose.

This guy's days are numbered........HEY!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJmxC...layer_embedded

Last edited by IknowURider; 12-17-10 at 11:18 PM.