View Single Post
Old 12-18-10, 10:05 PM
IknowURider

Bikes: 1991 Tomassini Prestige 1973 Raliegh Supercourse, 1975 Panasonic Sport Deluxe, 1983 Fuji S-12, 1975 Motobecane Mirage, 1983 Motobecane Super Mirage 1999 Trek 930 1989 Trek 930 ,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
It looked like the rider was consistently making the noob mistake of riding just left of the fog line. He is "inviting", the unsafe passes. One needs to either commit to the shoulder or take the lane. You can't try to take just a foot or two of the lane unless you want trouble. As for the OP:

1. Most of the roadways didn't look like 50 mph roads to me, but I could easily be wrong here.

2. Marathons aren't bulletproof and there is some virtue in speed and the ability to accelerate. Marathons interfere with both.

3. Sure, carcissists are a bit more likely to aggressively express their bike hate if you are either in spandex or look like a homeless person. But there isn't much joy in the happy medium between those two either. Sometimes the clothing is just functional.

4. If one only leaves the shoulder when there are no cars, one is not taking the lane at all.

5. The cars are attempting to squeeze by because the cyclist isn't taking the lane.
Ok I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Thanks. Yes there is no happy medium. LOL you are right.

I lived in the midwest for awhile, and it is pretty hammer-down straightaway. I know some parts of Wisconsin get a bad rap from the loaded touring community, just not sure where at the moment. I dunno, these road look pretty damn fast from the footage.

Okay, how about this, you don't "take the lane" like you would in slow city traffic. But you wait 'till it's clear, and then "utilize the lane" , but then just humbly "give it back" when you (snicker) have no choice anyway....