View Single Post
Old 12-19-10, 06:35 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
In principle, using a 4 wheel (quad) cycle as the primer mover could be the way forward, if battery powered implements are used. After all that is the usual manner that ATV mounted implements are powered ... ... although the trailed ones usually have a small Briggs & Stratton, Honda, etc, petrol or diesel engine.

My years of engineering experience tells me that a pedal powered recumbent lawn mower is only going to work on firm, level, already short, and well manicured dry lawns.

I own and hire out 3 ADV electric assist pedal vans with a rated payload of 250 KG, and I build quad, flat bed pedal powered trucks and pedal racing cars. But I am currently looking into pedal powered street sweepers, an electrical assisted pedal powered 30 inch wide snow plough with rear mounted 12 volt salt spreader for pavements and pedestrian areas, and row crop cultivation hoe and transportation work in glasshouses: all seem to be very feasible.

I am one of the true believers that we can do an awful lot more with pedal powered vehicles: I've staked my living and future on it. However, there is an awful lot of prejudice out there, but I am now slowly gaining ground with my products from being a novelty, to serious low life time cost, green alternatives.