View Single Post
Old 05-25-05, 08:29 AM
karmadog

Bikes: Kona Dew Deluxe, 15 year old Nishiki mtb beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently purchased a new bike -- my final shortlist was the Jake and the Dew Deluxe. I chose to go with the Dew Deluxe for the following reasons:

1. It looks like less of a thief magnet than the Jake.
2. I liked the disc brakes, and friends of mine swear by them when carrying heavier loads or when its wet outside.
3. It was about $200 cdn cheaper.
4. I'm not terribly comfortable with drop handlebars in heavy traffic - personal preference.

The frame on the Jake was also a bit more compressed (I'm 5'10") -- I found the frame on the Dew Deluxe a bit more comfortable.

I've been riding it for the past month or so and definitely don't have any issues with it, beyond the inconvenience of mounting a rack with disc brakes. I ended up having to mount a seat post rack which I'm not very happy with. It says that the max weight is 25 lbs (and for my commute, on a heavy day when I replenish supplies at office I carry maybe 12 lbs). But I don't like the looks of the rack, and I'm a bit nervous about it getting bumped to the side.

The disc brakes are incredibly responsive, and I haven't had any squealies or problems with rubbing.