View Single Post
Old 12-20-10, 02:08 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by triathloner
cages are a good way for bearing manufacturers to save money on hardened steel loose balls
I think the reason bicycle manufacturers use caged bearings is because they are so much faster to assemble than a bearing system with loose balls. Hardened steel bearing balls are cheap. Cheaper than caged bearings. It all comes down to labor expense.

Originally Posted by rootboy
Thanks all. I'd thought I'd read several postings in another thread, don't remember which one now, where guys said they use loose balls in a headset because you could add two more bearings, thus providing more support and, they also mentioned a headset will last longer that way. I thought Grand Bois was one. Maybe it was Tom. At any rate, doesn't seem like it will work in a bottom bracket however. Can't imagine 12 will fit in there. Well, I might be beating a deceased horse here... thanks to all for the input.
I'm still not quite clear on your problem. If you have 22 1/4" bearing balls, I suggest installing them. Get rid of the cages. Dollars to doughnuts it'll give you a proper, smooth bottom bracket.

Alternatively, clean and reuse the caged bearings. They're Campagnolo and probably the best caged bearings made.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 12-20-10 at 02:14 PM.