Old 12-20-10, 02:44 PM
spacedesign

Bikes: 2010 Trek Soho Belt Drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bmorey
Over the past 2 months my Trek Carbon Solo developed a creak/squeak in, I think, the bottom bracket. As well there was a loud once-per-revolution crack from the IGH and a marked tendency to slip in 5th gear (and only 5th). It's 9 months old so I took it into LBS form a premature (free) 12 month service.

What wouldn't have helped is that 3 weeks ago I misjudged a flooded bike path -- water went up over the gears and bottom bracket -- that involved me having to dismount and wade out. It's really hard to pedal and balance when water is almost up to your knees.

LBS advises: bottom bracket had had some water in. Some small amounts of rusty metal (wear/swarf) in the IGH. Belt too tight (my fault). Gear change cable rusted and binding. LBS suggested paying for this service and saving the free service for 12 months. The IGH was cleaned and lubed, bottom bracket removed and greased, rear brake cleaned and lubed, and the iron-wire gear cable replaced (inner & outer) with stainless cable.

Result: bike is like new and once again a pleasure to ride. The real surprise: cost of service/parts was $55 - a bargain.
Very informative post! I just recieved some of the Shimano IGH lub, and Roller Brake Lub, as my LBS didn't have it, so for my next service I'll supply it.