Old 12-22-10, 12:20 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by NoGaBiker
But if you are just looking for a decent touring bike for slightly more than your budget, the Bikes Direct Windsor Tourist ($600 delivered) is a great deal. Pop it out of the box, true the wheels, pump the tires, stick the quill stem in the headset, and start riding. Even comes with a rack already on it.

I ride a LHT, so I'm not shilling for the BD Windsor; if the budget will allow I think the LHT is worth the extra dosh. But if you really want to stay in the $600 range (let's be honest; you won't REALLY limit yourself to $500, not once you change out the stuff you're gonna change and add a rear rack) The Windsor is without peer.
Good luck with your decision.
thats a good recommendation. I have looked at that bike and thought the same thing, that its a fairly decent bike. Gearing is a bit high (especially as it states that it COULD come with a 52/42/30 OR a 50/39/30, which with the 32 cassette, is a tad high for loaded up. I guess one could change out the 50 for a 46 and the granny to a 26 (notsure if doable) so that the fd would still work within its range.

for someone starting out, it would probably be a good buy, leaving money for panniers, tent, sleeping bag etc.