Old 12-22-10, 10:08 AM
EKW in DC

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mjw16
The Mount Vernon Trail is very rideable right now, almost entirely hazard free. I'm on it daily from the Airport to the 14th St. bridge, the only hazards are the ever-diminishing re-freeze on the bridges, in fact, you can ride in snow free tracks for most of it. I alternate between the clear stuff and the grippier snow that remains. I'm currently riding on CX tires but have seen a few guys out there on road tires. I also passed someone with studs yesterday on the way home, must be reassuring but, a little overkill in my opinion. Also, it looks like the snow they predicted earlier in the week will miss us. Now, if we could just hurry up and get Spring started...
+1. I ride the MVT from 4MR to the 14th St Bridge as well. Even Monday was doable on my 32mm Vittoria Randonneurs. Took the GRE yesterday, so I didn't go to work. Today conditions were very very rideable. Still lots of ice on the overpasses by the airport, but there is a cleared foot wide path over each bridge where the concrete is exposed. It's pretty warm today so hopefully we'll get a little more melt before the evening commute.

The weekend snow prediction is worrisome to me since I'll be coming home on Sunday from a weekend with family, but even moreso b/c a serious snowfall can really hamper commuting efforts for days or weeks. I hope it ends up being just a dusting at most. I used to love snow and snowstorms, but since the MVT doesn't get plowed, I now officially loathe snow and ice. Now if it happened often enough to justify a set of studded tires, then it might be a different story. Since it doesn't it's just a PITA!