View Single Post
Old 09-24-02, 03:37 AM
combustible

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have friends who are messengers and I don't believe that what a few messengers may do on a bicycle warrants an entire thread dedicated to their riding techniques. As previously mentioned by others in this thread, messengers are simply doing their jobs. They operate on a timeframe and are paid on a quantitative basis. True, some messengers are offensive riders; however, to say that they are giving 'cyclists' a bad name is absurd. It's not like cyclist-motorist dichotomy is remotely similar to black-white. Saying that messengers give cyclists a bad name is like saying that rappers give blacks a bad name. I'd bet that few motorists see cyclists as a singular body and even fewer use the overly aggressive riding tactics of a lone cyclist to stereotype all those who are two-wheeled. Whether by way of car, bike, skateboard, pogostick, or teleportation, we're all people trying to get things accomplished while in motion. Furthermore, every bike messenger I know can handle a fixed-gear track bike with the highest level of skill, under virtually every condition; they can ride with the best. Bottom line: I have respect for messengers as a whole. That's my two Lincolns...:thumbup:

Last edited by combustible; 09-24-02 at 03:40 AM.