View Single Post
Old 12-27-10, 07:04 PM
Looigi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzyDunlop
I haven't used that particular pump, but I'd be skeptical of its utility. It seems too small to get decent air pressure without having to pump it hundreds of times. However that's just based on looking at pictures online.
Also, I really do recommend getting a travel pump with a hose. I broke several valve stems with my previous pump.
Exactly. The number of strokes starts to go up exponentially with the smallness of the pump due to the compression ratio between the volume in the pump and the volume in the connection up to the valve seat in the tube stem. And with the volume in a mtn bike tire, you won't live long enough to fill a tire with a pump that small.

If you use a pump that attaches directly to the stem, you need to very carefully support the stem and the end of the pump so as not to damage the stem. The two small pumps I recently bought for new road bikes have hoses to connect the pump to the stem. One is a Lezyne "Road Drive" and the other is a Topeak "Race Rocket". For my mountain bikes, I have pumps designed designed for higher volume at lower pressure.