Old 12-28-10, 07:50 AM
zeppinger

Bikes: Giant FCR3, Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
That's right. Biking take me over 1 hour each way, while car is 15min each way. It's mostly highway at 6am, so 75mph or so, while on the bike I'd be lucky to average 15mph because of the 2000' climb (mountain range between beach where I live and Sf bay side where I work). I use an application on my iphone to track gas purchases so my numbers regarding that are accurate. I can do all my own maintenance and repairs on my cars and since buying this used car (2003 ford focus, now has 100,000 miles on it), I've driven it 20,000 miles and only maintenance has been oil changes, the alternator went out ($100 for part, self installed) and I just replaced the tires ($350 but figure that's only once every three years or so). Unlike the OP, I don't have a terrible driving record so my insurance is $600/year insurance.

As for time not being monetary, it is in the sense that if I had not had a car and been able to respond within our 30 min callout time, I'd have lost out on over $300 in overtime over the last two days alone. But regardless of that, I make plenty of money. What I want/need in my life is more time! Time saved getting to and from work is priceless to me. I just wouldn't enjoy riding to work over that route every day. I'd rather ride here on the beautiful coast!
If your time were really that invaluable then you would pay extra to move closer to work rather than drive to and from.