Old 12-29-10, 07:57 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by old's'cool
I'm reading with interest the reports from Michigan members since I'm in the process of moving there. My commute will likely be in the area between Romeo and Sterling Heights, so I'm looking forward to any reports from that area. ...
Though I currently live in Boston, I am a Michigan native and frequently visit the Northeast suburbs, specifically Fraser, MI and environs. I always try to fit in some cycling. In a preceding post on this thread, I made some incidental comments about riding in that area.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…In my experience, the toughest traffic I have ridden in is in the Northeastern suburbs of Detroit where there are no shoulders, high speed traffic, no alternatives for distance riding, not much “cycling awareness,” and only discontinuous sidewalks, which I have been compelled to use…
Now that does sound like a negative assessment I admit, but was written in comparison with commuting in Boston. The situation in those suburbs is probably not dissimilar to other sprawling cities. Early AM riding to avoid the traffic is fine though. Likely too, with a good map you may be able to find alternative routes through residential areas , and I suspect the situation may be better farther north in the region you describe, than from where I ride.

I have also written favorably about cycling around Detroit:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I know Detroit as the Motor City has taken some hard knocks over the years, but there a longstanding and ever-increasing cycling scene ongoing there, and the city proper is recognized as having an excellent road infrastructure for cycling. A few Olympic cyclists came from there in the 1970’s from the Wolverine Sports Club. I regularly read the Great Lakes Regional Discussion Forum to keep up, and I always take my bike back, year round, to ride when we go to visit family.
Originally Posted by brumskee
The Rochester hills area near by has a pretty good cycling presence. Lots of mups paralelling the very busy roads. Good sat & sun morning roady rides. I think there is a velodrome in the area too??? Glad to hear somebody is actually moving into Mi.
I agree with the above comments; my sister lives there and a favorite ride is from Fraser to RH via Auburn Rd, though that town is removed from routes to Sterling Heights to Romeo.