Old 12-30-10, 08:19 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
None of us "Enjoy" the cold so just get out and ride.

Layer up and it will not be long before you warm up and wonder what the fuss is about on your ride to the LBS to get the "Extra" clothing that you now find you need.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Today’s 14 mile commute was at 19* F at 6:30 AM with a 20 mph head/crosswind. Hands and fingers warm, and face warm with mask pulled off nose and no fogging of eyeglasses and goggles. I started to notice toes cold at mile 7, but tolerable to the end…The main peculiarity of today’s commute was that I am on also vacation today. I’m an early riser and can come into work and have some things to do for a couple of hours. I’m also a very destination-oriented cyclist and I wouldn’t just go for a pleasure ride on a day like today, but a 14 mile commute was desirable, especially after the all festive celebrating over the Christmas week-end.
So commuting with a necessary destination gets me out in all kinds of weather, even though I have the luxury of taking a train to work. Beyond that though, and all the usual joys of cycling for fitness, two things are particularly germane to inspire my winter riding. First of all is the intriguing challenge of keeping warm and all the planning and innovation that is required. Currently I actually look forward to a single digit degree F day to test some recent innovations. Secondly, by now my reputation as a hardcore cyclist is so well established that on a frigid day I can expect that perennial question, “You didn’t ride your bike today, did you?” My usual answer is “I’m glad you asked me that.”

For a purist’s viewpoint, see also this thread on the General Cycling Discussion Forum, “does anybody joyride in the cold”:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...de-in-the-cold