Thread: Wheel Advice
View Single Post
Old 12-31-10, 04:53 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Al1943
.... If within budget I would recommend DT Swiss Alpine triple butted 2.0 - 1.8 - 2.34 (14 - 15 - 13 gauge) spokes, assuming the hub spoke holes are big enough, or DT Competition double butted 2.0 - 1.8 - 2.0 spokes. I will not use a spoke that is smaller than 2.0 mm (14 gauge) at the hub flange.
You and I are basically on the same page, but I'm a firm believer in using different gauges on right and left flanges of high dish wheels. In this regard it's the center section which is most of the length of the spoke that counts. That allows more equal strain (%elongation) of all the spokes despite the tension being lower on the left. The Op should decide on the right flange spokes first, then look for a lighter butted spoke for the left, though like you I won't go below 2.0 at the hub.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.