View Single Post
Old 01-01-11, 08:53 AM
Rhodabike

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Nightshade
I will strongly suggest that you visit a wonderful blog written by a lady for ladies that will show you the wonders of European style bicycles designed for transportation in style and grace unknown in America. http://lovelybike.blogspot.com/

I visit there often since I really do like European (or "Dutch" as some here call them) style of bicycle. I think that if you read her blog you may get a better sense of what is out there that is not common in the U.S. but are starting to be imported to the U. S. .
The original poster wants to do rides in the 50-60 mile range, working up to weekend charity rides of 180 miles total. In theory you could do that on a heavy Dutch style tank, in reality it would be a very long and arduous experience. Why work harder than you need to? For those distances you want light weight, lots of gears, and a handlebar that gives you lots of hand positions. Trust me on this, I've done my share of 120 k/75 mile day rides, as well as the odd century ride (100 miles).
Distances are short in Europe, few commutes are longer than 5 or 6 kilometers (3-4 miles. Towns tend to be no more than 10 miles/16 k apart. One of my brothers is working in Southern Bavaria right now, the rides he does with the local touring club are in the 20-30 mile range. When he rides organized tours around Edmonton/St Albert where he lives, that's the very shortest ride they do.

Last edited by Rhodabike; 01-01-11 at 09:01 AM.