View Single Post
Old 01-01-11, 08:02 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I had a New Years ride and enjoyed the beach front travel along the lake here in Chicago. It is 22f here with a 22 mph wind. I got in 30 miles.

Within a block of leaving home, I discovered that my RD cable was rusted solid. The derailleur would not move off the 19t cog. So I rode using the 38t or 46t chainring on the crank. This worked well enough for a longer solo ride with no hills.

The lakefront path was battered by recent storms, so I was required to ride on soft embankment to get around the damage. Sure enough, just as I stand up to climb, the rear axle slips out of the drop-outs and I go over like Humpty-Dumpty. I fell down the embankment, clipped-in (of-course).

I met another rider after 25 miles. Mike & I had coffee and talked about family. This was the best part of the ride.

Now I need to align the handlebar stem and replace the RD cable. I hope to ride 4 days by this time next week.