Thread: BMX Freebie
View Single Post
Old 01-02-11, 12:45 AM
fuji86

Bikes: 1986 Fuji Allegro 12 Spd; 2015 Bianchi Kuma 27.2 24 Spd; 1997 Fuji MX-200 21 Spd; 2010 Vilano SS/FG 46/16

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've just read about it, most chrome has a light layer of copper underneath, that must be the yellowish gold hue (or at least what my lcd monitor displays as that) at the mid-points of the top & down tubes in pic #3 ? Been scrubbing that with a sheet of 80 grit and it seems to have roughened it up, I think that might be rough enough for a base primer coat to adhere to ? Reading on painting copper, there seems to be a concensus that there are no adhesion issues with primer and enamels with copper. I'll probably try a wire attachment to a 3/8" drill and see where that gets me on the bottom bracket and head tube to try to make that lighter work. I'm also in the process of contacting a guy that I know that has a custom paint shop. Not sure if he has any experience with it, but yeah, I'm all for getting it done the easiest way, but also the best way for the best results without raping the bank account.

As for the 1 piece crank, I'm going to try to reuse that, the bearings aren't worn and they were quite smooth. Besides I'm looking at the bottom bracket shell and it has these cups that I can't seem to see a way that they are removed easily. Inspecting the head set bearings and bottom bracket bearings, this bike has very little mileage on it and show no wear at all. I'm not ready to invest in a bottom bracket and crank set, although modernizing the bike has also crossed my mind. I will put new pedals on it, the resin ones are scuffed and worn.

Previous owner just didn't like the chrome I guess and wanted it a solid color. That finish is pretty tough, as if the chromoly steel wasn't already. Personally, the chrome annoys me, too shiny on a sunny day. Even if I clear coated it as scuffed, that's preferable to the reflection, glare & sunburst the chrome would have.