View Single Post
Old 01-02-11, 09:50 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts

Early in 2010, I found a new made-by-Lynskey titanium frame on ebay for less than $670 and decided I would build a faster bike than my faithful Soma Double Cross. The frame was built by Lynskey for Planet X, a British bike company. The size and geometry was right and I knew I could build a sub-19 pound road-bike that would be far stiffer than my steel Cyclocross bike.

I selected 6600 Ultegra SL for the brakes and for the compact crankset. I use both a 105 standard crankset and a compact on this bike, depending on my route or event. An Ultegra 6603 rear derailleur, 105 front derailleur and Shimano non-series STI Brifters would round-out the build. The fit would use tried-and-true Look pedals, FSA Compact handlebars and a new Brooks Professional saddle.

Has the titanium frame road-bike improved my long distance cycling substantially over the steel framed Cyclocross bike? Yes, but not in any radical way. The slightly lighter weight and stiffer construction of the titanium bike improves climbing and sprinting, but makes very little difference on flat roads over larger distances. I do feel more confident in a group ride, and have substantually improved my acceleration and climbing.

I’m faster this year, but I’ve improved my speed on all my bikes. I have a 19 mile loop that has just two traffic lights, and the Cyclocross bike is within 3 minutes of my best time on the titanium road-bike, less than a 5% difference. As is often said, it’s the motor that matters.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 01-02-11 at 10:42 AM.