View Single Post
Old 01-02-11, 10:03 AM
oilman_15106

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alcanoe
I have an Airborne Carpe Diem cyclocross frame and fork. The fork is carbon, but more stout for the cyclocross. I like that. No longer made, but the company reorganized under a different name and may still be around.

Rugged, comfortable and has attachment points for a rear rack, fenders and even disc brakes (with STI yet). I always carry a trunk bag and use fenders for wet roads. I don't get waves from most roadies.

Don't use discs due to weight.

I used to do 70 mile rides on it and once in a while now I'll take it out for a 40 miler though I've switched mostly to mountain biking.

There's nothing I find disagreable about the bike. I do want a second set of wheels with wider tires to do more rough stuff that's too mild for a mountain bike.

Al
Unfortunately Flyte the remains of Airborne has also bit the dust. Long story and there is much to read with the search function. Current Airborne bikes are Huffy.

Pretty good bikes however. I have an Airborne Manhattan Project which is technically not a true ti bike, carbon seat stays. Rides and handles great but some bottom bracket flex when out of the saddle. It is a great all around ride. Also have a Colnago Titano Lux again with carbon rear end. Out of a lot of bikes it is one of my favorites. Comfortable, fast enough to keep up with the carbon crowd and reasonably light at 17 lbs.

Quite a few guys we ride with still use ti. You can hardly go wrong with a good ti frame as a starting point.