Old 01-02-11, 12:12 PM
simplygib

Bikes: Hard Rock Sport, Peugeot Triathlon, Schwinn Paramount Series 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
've loved bike touring since the mid-70's. In all that time I've only once been able to convince anyone to try it and come on a tour with me. Why is that?
Because, since you like to throw mountains of stuff on your bike and ride insanely long distances (more than 2 miles) up mountains and across deserts, by definition you

1. are nuts
2. are a daredevil
3. have a deathwish

It seems it is the rare person who actually thinks this is a good idea. Most people who hear about my tours respond immediately with something like, "I could never do that," and from there go into the myriad misadventures one could have on a bike (getting hit, heart attack, mugged, chased by drug cartels with automatic weapons through the jungle, being kidnapped and held for ransom, eventually being decapitated, etc.). And yes, those last two were actually mentioned to me just prior to my last tour.

Oh well. Their loss.

By the way, my new gf, who has never been a cyclist, is excited about doing a tour with me this spring (her idea). The rarity of something like that is not lost on me. I think she's a keeper.