View Single Post
Old 01-04-11, 02:15 AM
chucky
It's got electrolytes!

Bikes: Self-designed carbon fiber highracer, BikesDirect Kilo WT5, Pacific Cycles Carryme, Dahon Boardwalk with custom Sturmey Archer wheelset

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the mean time I've ordered a Maxxis Miracle folding tire from danscomp.com

I also researched some other folding bead tires which I'd be interested in trying such as:
1. Tioga Powerband S-spec - as slick as a normal road tire and amazingly light (295g) for its width (1.85")
2. Intense Micro Knobby or Mk2 - available in many widths and also extremely light...it's not perfectly slick but could be good for unpaved roads
3. Panaracer Minits Lite PT - at 170g this must be the lightest 20" tire available...it's narrow (1.25"), but it also has some sort of puncture belt.

I went with the Maxxis because it was too cheap to pass up ($12) and for brand loyalty (since all my non 20" tires are Maxxis). It weighs about the same as the wire beaded version of the Big Apple it's replacing...so we'll see how it compares.

None of these have Kevlar belts, but they're so much lighter and cheaper than the typical recommendations that I'm willing to experiment.

Last edited by chucky; 01-04-11 at 02:21 AM.