View Single Post
Old 01-04-11, 03:00 PM
NightShift

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
If you are looking to flip, then dealing with any of these brands is a losing proposition, Murray, Foremost, or whatever. Its not just the quality of the bike (some are OK), its the lack of resale value. It costs just as much to put new tires, tubes, cables, bearings and grease on a Murray as it costs to do a Trek. In certain, red hot market, maybe it can work out. Anywhere else, forget it. Again, this is concerning flipping bikes. If you are looking for a keeper bike, then the resale value is meaningless.
Originally Posted by NightShift
It might be worth putting together a list of bike NOT to resell (or donate) as anything but scrap metal.
I don't think you understood what the purpose of the list I was suggesting would be.

Many of us would accept a free bike, or purchase a very cheap bike, for parts, even if the bike itself had little or no resale value. We might build it up and give it away, trade it for other parts, or donate it to a bicycle co-op after talking the parts we were after. But there are some bikes that should not be ridden, bikes that pose an unacceptable risk to the rider. You don't donate cables that you know are likely to break, brakes that won't stop a bike, a stem that cracks under normal use, a frame where the drop-outs may pull out while you're riding, or anything else you have reason to believe is inherently unsafe.

I count Next and Vertical as inherently unsafe. I've seen enough Huffy's that were just as bad that I will gladly avoid them, even if they're free.
I don't consider Murray as bad, but that may just be because I don't have as much knowledge and experience with whatever issues they have.
I know almost nothing about modern/semi-modern Columbias, but after Tom's post I will be extremely cautious about accepting one should I encounter one.

I remember hearing about a brand of bike that had been a give away item with the purchase of stereo equipment, because the importer found out they didn't meet the safety standards to be sold in the USA, but it was still legal to give them away (if someone remembers the brand please post, I've forgotten).

If you know a product that should be avoided, even if it's free, that's what I'm asking about.