View Single Post
Old 01-05-11, 01:51 PM
sdgrannygear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Calling your customers "freds?"

So I was reading the San Diego Reader article about the increased interest in cycling in SD and I saw a section that caught my attention. The author interviewed the guys from Pista Palace in south park and they talked about their high end bikes. They come off as being typical cycling elitist which I'm not sure is something you want to convey to your customers. I understand it that it's your own business and you can do what you want and serve who you want, but do you really want to alienate all these people. They call a lot of their customers "freddies." Ok, I get it, there are a lot of dentists with a lot of cash to unload on a campy equipped colnago. To me, calling someone a fred means that they are a poseur. If I am a customer, I'm thinking why would I buy from these guys, sure I want a nice bike but I don't want to be condescended to and how do I know they are going to give me top notch service if they don't even respect me? Just seems strange. And it seems ironic that they want to sell super high end bikes tricked out with "hand made" campy parts when really, they can get the same bike (since they are mostly made in taiwan and china anyway) for way cheaper with equal if not better parts from sram or shimano. Who is the fred now since they are building up unnecessarily expensive bikes?

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...cle-san-diego/