View Single Post
Old 01-06-11, 01:57 PM
sdgrannygear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CritEastwood
I'd really like to know how a Campagnolo Record equipped custom built Eriksen would be "the same bike" as an asian built titanium cookie-cutter with sham or shizmano componentry. Please explain this and feel free to offer up all of your experience riding custom frames that have been fabricated specifically for you.
Well, if we are talking about a "fast" bike, what makes a bike fast? weight and stiffness? You can take a giant/specialized/cannondale/trek "cookie cutter" frame and put shimano or sram parts on it and make it lighter and just as stiff. If we are talking about fit, correct me if I'm wrong, but that can be adjusted by seat tube, saddle, cleat, stem position. They sell Time and Colnago, it's not like you can order a custom sized frame from either of these companies. Can you? I'm asking because I don't know about those two companies. I've never ridden campy, only shimano and sram. Seems to me if the performance of that gruppo and comfort were that much better, every pro would be using it regardless of their sponsor. I'm not trying to trash campy, but riding it because it is "european" and shimano/sram are junk because they are american seems misguided.

If we are talking about just building a blinged out bike then sure, throw campy and what have you on your european frame or custom frame. If that's what you want to ride, go for it. But back to the original sentiment of calling your customer freds, what makes a fred? Seems strange that if you want to buy a nice bike from these guys, they may be calling you a fred behind your back.