View Single Post
Old 01-06-11, 10:17 PM
sdgrannygear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DRietz, did you bother reading the article? Here is the section I'm talking about.

Then there are the “Freddies.”

“‘Freddies’ are the weekend warriors who wear bright yellow so cars can see them, or that bright orange vest that can land a plane because its colors are so bright. Instead of having regular water bottles, they have a Gatorade bottle that doesn’t even fit in the holder. They’ve bought whatever was on sale at the Trek store, the Trek bike, with the Trek shorts, the full Lance Armstrong Mellow Johnny’s kit. They’re dressed exactly like the pros, but are fat, old guys. But you’ve got to remember: Freddies feed the industry, so I have no problem selling a TIME to them. Freddies put me through college. A lot of times I’m trying to do the fit, get a tape around their gut. I tell every one of them, ‘Listen, you’re not really in shape yet. So, understand that you’re buying a racing bike, but we’re trying to make it a comfortable bike.’ That’s what we call ‘Fredding out’ a bike.”
To me, his opinion of freds is not that high. My intent was not to diss the custom titanium bikes, eriksen, moots, whatever... The point was he sells "cookie cutter" frames if you want to get technical about it (the difference is they are european cookie cutters), He is painting his customer in an unfavorable light, that was my original point. this just seems odd to me.