Old 01-07-11, 09:37 AM
DizzyG3
Urban Assault Cyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5+ years and 14,000 miles and my first accident

I've been riding this particular route for about four years now. This happened to me on January 4th. I was riding home from work over a metal-grate drawbridge I have crossed hundreds of times. Just past the bridge I need to make a left, so I wait for clear traffic and make the lane change to the left (as I've done hundreds of times). As I'm crossing the bridge, I feel my front tire start to catch. When I wake up, I'm on the ground and there are people around me holding a cloth to my face (which took the brunt of the fall and was bleeding pretty well). Best I can figure is that the front tire caught the gap between the two halves of the bridge and flipped me over the handlebars. I spent the night in the hospital where I get stitched up and was told that nothing was broken (thanks goodness). Now I'm convalescing at home. I don't really have anyone to blame for this but myself. Accidents happen, but I could have picked a better spot to change lanes I suppose.

One good thing to come out of this is a reinforcement in my faith in humanity. Several strangers, the police, the EMTs, and the hospital folks were all really great. They all said that the helmet saved me, and after seeing it, I believe them. Have to go get a new on now...

As for the bike, I haven't seen it yet, but my wife tells me it's on pretty good shape, only needing a new bell and perhaps a new front fender. Still, I'm going to have the LBS check it out and make sure everything is okay.

Now I just have to heal and get back out there.