View Single Post
Old 01-08-11, 05:22 AM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
I had a career spanning 25 years in the agricultural engineering industry, with 9 of those years as a Research & Development engineer; and some of the things that I did or worked on where outstanding marvels, or completely off the beaten track assement projects.

Regarding pedal powered machinery applications my mind keeps gravitating towards a well over 50 year old concept of mid mounted impliments. Weight distribution for traction would be almost ideal, and the operator would have good vision of the tool doing it's work.

Something along the lines of the Allis Chalmers G3:

or this one believed to be a prototype Barfords of Belton or an Aveling Barford row crop tractor (same company: different divisions):

The real trick would be to design and build a viable low cost, small, lightweight, robust and reliable chain driven differential unit, that had the option of a mechanical locking function built into it; not a simple or straight forward task, as I have been working on one on and off for the last 2 years.

In the meantime, although not towed behind attachements I like them. I did find these pedal powered snowploughs from Canada on the net.

And I particularly like this one as it ticks a few of the Cargo Cycles development project criteria boxes: Tadpole trike, fixed gear, 20 inch wheels, etc.