Old 05-28-05, 04:08 PM
patc
Dubito ergo sum.

Bikes: Bessie.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That poll option "Yes, only where there are no bike lanes." implies that using bike lanes is somehow mutually exclusive with behaving as a "vehicular cyclist", a fallacy common with the VC extremists who, it seems, see it as their life mission to pontificate in various forums (and sometimes impose their views on all of us during municipal policy reviews).

My bike is a vehicle: it is defined as such under law (Ontario Highway Traffic Act, in my case), I use it as such, and it is on the road. Roadways have many types of lanes- from general use, to turn lanes, to special use (bus/car-pooling/bike/taxi/etc.). My bike is no less a vehicle because it happens to be located on a bike lane, pathway, or "normal" lane.

I "drive" my bike as a vehicle at all times and in all places, but also adapt my speed and behaviour to take into account surface conditions, laws, safety concerns, traffic density and types. Having gone a few rounds with the VC extremists here, I now realize that talking with them or reading their posts is, at best, a waste of time. People, roads, cities, laws, and driving habits all differ from place to place and time to time. Old grandmothers who can barely cycle at walking speeds; young couples towing child trailers; people with physical disabilities; and hardcore VC advocates all have a right to a reasonably safe, reasonably enjoyable, and reasonably convenient way to cycle from their own points 'A' and 'B'. I am not selfish enough to deny someone else a method I dislike, nor am I deluded enough to think that any one method will serve everyone.

Do educate yourself about the pros and cons of various cycling facilities (and that does include "normal" roads), and do learn to cycle in a manner you feel is as safe, effective, and pleasant as possible for your circumstances. Don't believe any one self-proclaimed expert, however. Megalomania does a poor job of advocacy.

Finally, ride your bike! These internet debates are really meaningless, don't waste too much time on them.