Old 01-10-11, 04:54 PM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
crack on openpro rim (braking surface), is this common?

I know it's common for these rims to crack at the spoke holes, but I got a crack on the side, right along where the tire bead is seated. 32 spoke laced to a powertap hub. Just under a year old with 6,500 miles. I run a 25mm gatorskin @~105psi on the back and weigh about 180.

I noticed my rear brake catching on my rim a couple weeks ago, but figured it was just getting out of true or catching the weld or a rough spot. It was much more noticable on my Saturday ride and I finally checked it and found the crack running along the braking surface, pushing out pretty far (like the pressure from the tire was making the crack spread). I'm glad it didn't explode...

Is it more likely a manufacturing defect or me running over something? I don't think I've run over anything recently and there is no sign of impact (no inward dent). I did have a pinch flat on the rear from a pot hole last winter, but it didn't seem like a significant impact at the time. Is it possible it took 10 months to have a problem from hitting the pot hole? Common issue with OpenPro's or not?