benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Looks like to me you found an equitable solution. Unfortunately in the US mass transit is a poor to non available option, and with the car centric sprawl being able to get about with minimal car use is a huge challenge but is great when you figure out a way to do it.

Aaron
I have to be honest, I used to bad mouth it but having a kid and a demanding career and living out in the suburbs I see why so many people end up the huge SUV crowd. In the SF Bay Area for a even decent public school education you have to live out in the suburbs where you just don't have a three mile bike commute or a subway tunnel right out the door.
For me, a bike commute is 2 hours each way after factoring in changing clothes, traffic, etc and tacking that onto a 10 or 11 hour workday doesn't leave a lot of time to be a dad.
You have to be a two income family because it is just too expensive, and to top it off, most places where the economy is in good shape are much the same, Which right now seems to be just DC and SF.
My dad is a baby boomer, Vietnam vet draftee, working class guy, growing up we owned our home and always had plenty money on just his salary and when we were visiting for Christmas he straight up told me he thinks my generation has it harder and actually feels sorry for my kids generation. We are just never going to have it as good as they did.

Last edited by benajah; 01-12-11 at 12:08 AM.