ancker
W**** B*

Bikes: Several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericm979
Read the power meter book before you get the power meter. If you don't finish it thinking of all the cool things you can do with the data, then the power meter will be a waste. You just won't be using it to its potential. There's nothing wrong with that. Not everyone is a data-driven dweeb. Some of the guys I ride with don't even use a bike computer and that doesn't keep them from being fast.

Speaking as a long time power meter user, if you're not racing I wouldn't bother with the power meter.
I fully understand this point of view. Though reading through the "Time Crunched Cyclist" I'm convinced that I need to power to ensure I'm getting an effective workout each time I hop on the bike to "Train". Whether I'm racing or not I'm still trying to get a good workout on the bike with the end goal of being super fit. I'm hoping a fortunate side effect of that is also going to be getting fast.

I've already noticed that in the 6 months I've been seriously riding that I can't rely on my HR tell me whether I'm actually accomplishing anything on the bike. I don't think I have enough seat time to adequately estimate my PRE yet either.

While I'm likely not going to use the powermeter to its (or my) full potential, I think it's going to help me accomplish my goals better than just winging it every time I hop on to "train".

Disclaimer: I'm a data dweeb. I really like being able to see progress via data. I feel like I'm faster/fitter than 6 months ago but other than my workout average speed being a few mph higher (which I know can be caused by shorter warmup/cooldown) I can't really see anything.