View Single Post
Old 01-12-11, 03:38 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzz2050
definitely true, but that doesn't mean you have to pack for a monsoon. If the only rain gear you have is a disposable poncho, having a full 3 person tent seems like overkill.

I might suggest a closed cell foam pad; while they can be pretty bulky, they are light and cheap. I tend to put mine into my dry bag (strapped to the rear rack) first, and expand it so it works kind of like a frame.
+1 on the closed cell foam, it's light inexpensive and worked in lots of situations, no need to blow it up either, of course it is bulky. I spent some pennies of a Neo Air at Christmas and I like it a lot, comfortable, light and packs small. Only bad thing is the feel of the material, but it wear long johns and a T shirt to bed so it'd no big deal.

Fir me a tent has to shelter me from rain AND bugs...so I'd never use a tarp without a bug net. the upshot is I like single walled "tarptents" like the Contrail. It only weighs 1.5lbs so thats good too, I'd recommend the OP get one of those to replace his old heavy tent.