Old 01-13-11, 02:31 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I also love Nokon housing. Positives include: It is very flexible, making any curve you ask it to without affecting it's excellent performance. It's nice and lightweight. You can lengthen or shorten the housing quite easily, and even switch it to another bike. Plus, it looks awesome if you buy a different-colored extension kit and make a pattern (mine is a repeating sequence of 3 black then 1 red section). It's from Germany, so some of the German online retailers (e.g., bike-components.de) have the best prices for it, but if you have to get it shipped to the States then that may negate any savings.

Negatives of Nokon are: Price. Lenghty initial setup/installation time (not helped by the badly translated instructions). Plus, after a while it does start to creak when turning the handlebars (I fix this about every 6 months by putting some dabs of light oil between the individual housing sections, then wiping off the excess). The positives outweigh these things for me, so I'm very happy.

I have one bike done completely with it, and I used the leftovers from that and from a friend's full installation to do the rear shifter housing on the tandem and another single bike. When I need to change other cables, I may consider buying more of it.

Last edited by Chris_W; 01-13-11 at 02:39 AM.