View Single Post
Old 05-29-05, 04:30 PM
Helmet Head
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not questioning your experience. Mine is less, I'm sure. I'm just trying to understand what you mean, and I question whether you understand VC as well as you seem to think you do.

I definitely cannot disagree with this: "I believe all vehicles at one time or the other have to break the law as strictly written at certain times in order to avoid bad situations, and thats the point Im trying to make."

But remember, the vehicular rules of the road that a vehicular cyclist follows are not necessarily those that are "strictly written". For example, in jurisdictions where cyclists are required to keep to the right by law, even when it is unreasonable and unsafe, vehicular cyclists would violate such laws. Vehicular cyclists follow the same laws that apply to all vehicle drivers, and the principles they are based on, period. That's not the same as following the letter of the law all the time.

My issue with what you've been saying is that you seem to be misrepresent VC as following the letter of the law at all times, then take it to task for that, based on what you've learned from experience. I think you are not recognizing the flexibility and adaptability of vehicular cycling to almost any traffic situation, including the examples you have provided.

Serge