View Single Post
Old 01-15-11, 01:07 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zoltani
He bought his flat a long time ago....I'm sure he owns it outright now, but probably pays some HOA fees of some kind. Also remember he happened to have retired during the glory days of french retirement, plus he was a teacher, and they have great pensions typically.

They don't have the same kind of credit report system as the USA so you usually have to show up with your last 3 months of bills from your old place. Oh, and have a cosigner, even if you are 30+ your mommy and daddy will have to cosign for you. You can imagine what a PITA that is. Not sure about making 4 times your rent, wasn't the case for us. Maybe that changes if you don't have a cosigner.

BTW after living at home for the past two months I can say that I absolutely hate HGTV and everything house hunter/virgin owner/whatever show, what a load of ****. Unfortunately my mom loves that crap.

Never been found of HGTV myself though I used to love Ground force where they came in and redid peoples yards. Still they have a program about foreign real-estate and I have noticed that buying a home in much of Europe is a PITA if you can even afford to do so. Prices are as high as or higher than NYC and most times people make far less per capita than we do. The difference was the people moving tonight were moving from Canada to France because the husband had taken a position in Paris. The downtown prices were outrageous and there was simply no way convenience could make up the difference between living in Paris and moving out to one of the Suburbs. At least they have light rail for commuting into town. But they did say that if you decided to rent you would have to prove you made 4 times more than the rent. At $1700 a month that would be $6800 a month wages. That’s more than 81K a year. Way above the average French wages. I guess I could look it up but I am not interested in moving to France.