View Single Post
Old 05-29-05, 07:18 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Here's the thing, can you provide even one example, real or hypothetical, to illustrate your point? In what situation might adhering to VC 100% get you killed, and violating the vehicular rules of the road (which is what not riding VC means) would save you?
I have a situtation.

It is VC that when you make a left turn you don't do it from the right side of the road. I have to make a left turn lane on a two lane road (one lane in each direction.) The road is very twisty and I'm going up hill. The street I turn onto is so steep I have to gear down to my lowest. If I don't time this correctly, I have to get off and walk. If I have to stop because of on-coming traffic I have to get off and walk. If I have to stop because of on-coming traffic the line of sight behind me is so poor I run a real risk of being hit from behind. In other words, I can't stop and wait and be safe. Most people are speeding.

Riding VC doesn't do a whole lot to keep me safe in this condition. When I get into the situation where I'm going to have to stop and walk I usually end up taking a dive into the right shoulder, then running across the street as a pedestrian once it's clear. Running because there is no crosswalk and walking might get me killed, too.