Old 01-16-11, 12:53 PM
Froghunter

Bikes: 2011 Raleigh Clubman....Next Hardtail Mountain with Street Tires

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
“Thoughts”

I have the opportunity to purchase a pair of 60s Schwinn utility bicycles One is a Racer and the other is a Breeze…both single speeds with coaster brakes. The use is going to be used as a grocery getter/errand/commuter bike (under a mile both ways) in a small rural town. The bikes will be fitted with Wald racks and baskets. The issues I’m having with purchasing this pair of bicycles are the Schwinn S6 rim size. The bikes are in need of new tires and tubes. From my research only Kenda makes a replacement tire for this rim size. Pretty limited on tread patterns ONE. My question is can an update 26” MTB rim be fitted to the Schwinn spools and would it be practical to do. The bikes are going to be in service year around for the next 10/20 years. My other thought is to get the early steel framed MTB and build the grocery getter/errand/commuter. I have no problem with the mechanical aspect of working on bicycles. I asked the seller the size of the tires and they emailed me back with 26 X 1 1/2 and not 26 X 1 3/8 …….Need help with that tire sizes too 

Pictures of the Pair!

Thanks for your time!

Bill