Old 01-19-11, 11:50 AM
thebigkick

Bikes: 2008 Masi Speciale CX, 1966 Benotto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maddox
This looks like a cool project. Sturmey hubs are generally spaced to 120mm, so unless your rear dropouts are spaced to 120 you'll probably need to have them taken in and realigned - so you know it will be symmetrical.

Keep us updated on the build progress. I love the idea of building up an old frame with a 3 or 5 speed vintage hub.
Honestly, I haven't measured them out yet, but the SA hub slid right in with no struggle. I guess I got lucky. Although, I should measure them out anyway...

...I've always wanted an orange bike so I picked up some RustOleum Orange and a can of Gloss. Going to rough up the frame, remove the sticker(s), and give it a few coats.

I'm not really worried about how great the paint job comes out. a carefully spray-canned job will be good enough for me. I already have a pretty bike. This will be me "beater" bike. Actually, I like the sound of "warrior" bike. If I lock it up to a street sign or pole to grab some coffee I don't want to have to worry about the paint getting ruined. My 07' Masi is another story.

With that said, should I apply the decals I bought off ebay a few months ago? Or should I save them for the real paint job down the road when this is all done. Maybe I should just throw them on, they were only $20.

I'm more focused on using good components and equipment. For example, nice Brooks bar tape, a quality crank (if I can afford one at the time), and constructing the bike properly.

Here I removed the spindle, bearing and one of the cups. The other is stuck on (reverse thread).

No lock nut on this side makes me wonder...

Anyone got any suggestions for removal? Very stubborn!

Thanks for the support. It's a lot of fun. I will def be posting a lot since the snow is really coming down here in the Northeast I will have lots of time for this project.

Last edited by thebigkick; 01-21-11 at 08:46 AM.