Old 01-19-11, 12:27 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CICLISMO_URBANO
I am restoring vintage frames original paint re-chrome and I would also like to do decals of course to complete it. I was just wondering if you produce them yourself you need some kind of license or something or can you just do it since it is something you can just buy.
IANAL, but for the best legal position, it comes down to whether the builder is still in business or not,

If the builder is still in business, then write or email them looking for decals, stating that if none are available you would like permission to reproduce the ones you have already on the bicycle.

Builders fall into five camps.

1) They have decals available and will sell them to you.
2) They don't have decals available, but do have copies of the art work from that time, and will make a copy for you, this may or may not cost money.
3) They don't have decals available, but will permit you to make your own reproductions.
4) They don't have decals available and will not permit you to make your own reproductions.
5) They have gone out of business, and it's not an issue.

The forth option is the only one that really matters, and reproducing the decals could land you in court. Mind you once decals are installed and clear coated over, it's going to be tough to prove they are reproductions, unless the reproduction is of very poor quality or the decals are on a different make or model bicycle.