Rob P.
Fred at large

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chelboed
1. What's "minimum thickness"?
2. What don't you like about them that you want to change them...change for the sake of change?
3. What size? How bout trying the next size up so you don't grind them to "minimum thickness" so quickly?

I don't think there's anything wrong with what ya got...my size suggestion sounds good, if I say so myself.
There is no "next size up" in this context. That would relate to rotor diameter (ie: going from 160 to 180) and not thickness of the braking surface.

As to that, the minimum cross-sectional thickness of the rotor brake swept area is .15" If the rotor is thinner than that it should be replaced (just like on your car. Too thin = worn out). At this point I'm just wondering if there is a benefit to be had from going to metal pads and a different rotor. Shimano has several different types. Perhaps an aftermarket rotor/pad setup would give better erformance on those long downhills where the brake heats up a bit after a few miles.

Plus, I have a slightly warped rear rotor which should be replaced anyway. And, it's time to change the pads.

So, are there other options I should be thinking about other than just staying with the resin pads?