Old 01-21-11, 04:08 AM
robbied196

Bikes: Harry Hall, Vitus 979, Viscount Aerospace, Dawes Galaxy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Assuming you have 2 chain whips to dis-assemble the freewheel, you can simply replace individual sprockets on the freewheel to broaden the range, or buy a custom made 7s freewheel with the gearing you need. If you PM me the details of your current 7s freewheel, and what you want to change it to, I'm sure I can help you out.

Otherwise, yes you can drop the smallest sprocket, but you'll also probably need to grind off the protruding lip on the second.
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Yes, but if the replacement freewheel is Sachs Malliard too ,
you can use the smaller cogs off the 7 speed, instead of the double threaded #7

but yes you can just leave the 8th off, It threads into #7, #7 threads onto #6,
# 6 threads onto the body.
I found 8th cog has to come off anyhow to grip the remover tool.
Thank you for your PM FBinNY, unfortunately I don't have enough posts to be able to reply!

I think between the 8 speed and the 7 speed I have the spockets I need to build a new freewheel and I have the tools to strip off the sprockets, there's just a couple of questions

From what fietsbob has said, it sounds like each sprocket will be threaded, I assume they will all be anti-clockwise to remove them? (As you can tell, I've never stripped a freewheel before!)

Will the freewheel off the 7 speed be narrower in width than the 8 speed? I'm assuming it will be, which means I will need to use the 7 speed freewheel so that it fits back in the frame.

The most important spocket I want to use is the 1st, 30 tooth off the 8 speed, will this sprocket be removable from the freewheel, or is the first sprocket fixed to the freewheel?

Hope the questions make sense and thanks for all your help